Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Beautiful, Honest Heart

Reading: Luke 8:8, 15

"Still other seed fell on fertile soil. This seed grew and produced a crop that was a hundred times as much as had been planted... And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good hearted people who hear God's word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest."
Luke 8:8, 15 
The King James Bible says an honest and good heart. I looked up the two words they are very similar. Combined they say "beautiful, but chiefly good, valuable, virtuous, honest, and worthy. Wow, I want a heart like that... a heart where the word of God fills my life and those I touch with beautiful fruit. Lord, I want a beautiful, good and honest heart. Change my heart I pray. The fertile soil of a beautiful honest heart is not hard, distracted nor divided, but rather focused on the one thing that matters most... loving God and loving people. 
"You shall love the Lord your God 
with all your heart ... soul... mind... 
and love your neighbor as yourself." 
Matt. 22:37-39 NKJ 

The story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10:38-42 is a familiar story and good picture. Martha welcomed Jesus and His disciples into her home and prepared a nice meal for them; which a is good and loving thing to do. The question is did she keep things simple or do way too much, as to cause her to be stressed and distracted? I do this all too often. We as women dream of how wonderful it would be if we do this, this and that. Then we get anxious. While Martha was making this wonderful meal, sister Mary sat at Jesus' feet and heard His words.  "Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me. And Jesus said to her  

'Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things. 
But one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, 
and it will not be taken from her." 
Luke 10:38-42 NIV

Wow, what a lesson to keep things as simple as possible, so as to be focused on what really matters. It is not so easy as women. We live in a Martha world, when so much is expected of us, yet we need to make time to sit at His feet and hear His word, so we can abide in Him through the day and serve Him with peace and joy.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. 
He who abides in me, bears much fruit;  
for without me you can do nothing." 
John 15:5
Jesus has a beautiful honest heart. 
When we look to Him, behold Him, just sit with Him and be with Him
the Spirit of the Lord transforms us, glory by glory into His likeness. 
(2 Cor. 3:18)

No comments: