Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Last Supper

Reading: Luke 22:14,15, Matthew 26:26-29, John 13:18-38,

Tonight is the night we remember the Last Supper that Jesus shared with His disciples. This supper was to celebrate the Feast of Passover. "...Jesus and the apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, 'I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before My suffering begins...' Luke 22:14,15 NLT "As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then He broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples saying, 'Take this and eat it, for this is My body.' And He took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, 'Each of you drink from it, for this is My blood, which confirms the covenant between God and His people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.'" Matthew 26:26-29 NLT

Jesus knew that His hour had come to leave this world and wanted to be with His disciples to share His final words and demonstrate His love for them. He humbly washed their feet. (See The Full Extent of His Love).

Last Supper - Carl Bloch
After Jesus had washed their feet, He became deeply troubled, and said, "'I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me!' the disciples looked at each other, wondering who He could mean." John was sitting near Jesus. He leaned over and  asked Him who He was talking about. Jesus answered, "' It is the one to whom I give the bread I dip in the bowl.' And when He had dipped it, He gave it to Judas... When Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into Him. Then Jesus told him 'Hurry and do what you're going to do.'... So Judas left at once, going out into the (darkness of) night."



"As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said 'The time has come for the Son of Man to enter His glory... I will be with you only a little while longer... but you can't come where I am going...' Simon Peter asked, 'Lord, where are You going?' Jesus replied, 'You can't go with me now, but you will follow Me later.' 'But why can't I come now, Lord?... I am ready to die for You.' Jesus answered, 'Die for Me? I tell you the truth, Peter - before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know Me.'" John 13: 18-38 NLT  Oh the heart break Peter must have felt hearing this from the Lord, Jesus! The disciples were likely wondering where He was going to go and why they could not come with Him.

Jesus could see their concern and tells them to not let their hearts be troubled, but to put their trust in God, and to trust Him. He explains that He is going to prepare a place for them (us, too) in the Father's home. When everything is ready He will return to take us to be with Him always. He says "you know the way to where I am going... I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me."

From here Jesus goes into wonderful teachings found in John 14-17. If you have time, read some of  Jesus' last words to His disciples. Follow along with us through the Passion of Jesus Christ

No comments: