Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Greatest Commandment

Matthew 22:34-40, Mark 12:28- 34, I John 4:7-, 12, John 3:16, John 15: 9-14

In this post continuing the 40 days that Christ appeared to His disciples, we will look once again at His Great Commission, specifically on this verse:

"Teach these new disciples to obey all the commandments I have given you."
 Matthew 28: 20 NLT

What was the most important thing that Jesus wanted His disciples to obey and teach others to obey?

On one occasion when the Jewish leaders were trying to figure out a way to trap Jesus by asking Him questions. A Pharisee asked Him this question:

"Teacher, which is the most important commandment 
in the law of Moses?" 
Matthew 22:36 NLT

As you look through the books of the law of Moses, you realize that there were a lot of commandments they had to obey. So much to think about and do. Is there a simpler way? Jesus gets right to the heart of the issue:

"You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, 
all your soul, and all your mind. 
This is the first and greatest commandment. 
A second is equally important:  
'Love your neighbor as yourself. 
The entire law and all the demands of the prophets 
are based on these two commandments." 
Matthew 22:37-40 NLT

Think of that! All of the hundreds of laws and commandments could be summed up with just two. How much more simple! And wouldn't the world be such a better place if people did those two things. The teacher who asked Jesus the question made a thoughtful reply that is found in the book of Mark:

"Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth 
by saying that there is only one God and no other. 
And I know it is important to love Him with all my heart and all my understanding 
and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. 
This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law."

"Realizing how much the man understood, Jesus said to him, 
'you are not far from the Kingdom of God." 
Mark 12:28- 34 NLT

Our church uses a simple statement to describe our mission:

"Love God and Love people."

That sums up what Jesus said and makes it easy to remember. While it is simple, it isn't always easy. How do we love like this? Where does this love come from? 

"Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. God showed how much He loved us by sending His one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through Him. This is real love- not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. Dear friends, since God loved us so much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us and His love is brought to full expression in us." I John 4:7-12 NLT

This love comes from Him, God Himself. It is His own nature living in His true children and expressing His own love to others. When He lives deep within our being, then His nature and His love finds expression through us as we love one another. Here are a couple more quotes about love from Jesus:

"For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son, 
so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." 
John 3:16

"I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in His love... This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command."John 15: 9-14 NLT

Read each of His thoughts slowly and let them sink in... We are loved... just as the Father loved Jesus! What could be more important for us than to obey what He commands.

No comments: