Monday, February 19, 2024

Who am I, O Lord?

Reading: Matt. 5:3, Psalm 8:3, 4, 2 Sam. 6 & 7, Psalm 128:1-4,

"Blessed are the Poor in Spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven". 
Matt. 5:3 NKJ

This week we are looking at a few examples of God's people who were poor in spirit before Him. Today, we will look at David, who penned the following Psalm (song). I can imagine him sitting on a hillside, with his sheep bedded down for the night, looking up into the heavens, in awe of it's vastness and glory. By comparison he must have felt so small and insignificant.

"When I look at the night sky 
and see the work of Your fingers, 
the moon and the stars, you set in place-
what are people that you should think about them, 
mere mortals that you should care for them?"
Psalm 8:3-4 NLT

Here we are thousands of years later. The same moon and stars are there, moving in their preordained course through the heavens. In comparison to the vast universe we are small and can feel insignificant. Who am I O God, that You should think about me and care for me? God answers David's question about 1,000 years later with the coming of Jesus. His answer is our hope. Perhaps David asked this question when he was a young man, maybe as a shepherd. If so did he maintain his spiritual poverty before God, even when he was king of Israel?

When David became king he lived in a beautiful palace and decided to build a house for the arc of God. He told this to Nathan the prophet who then said to do all that was in his heart for the Lord. But that night the word of the Lord came to Nathan saying,

"Go and tell my servant David, 'Would you build a house for Me to dwell in?..." The Lord tells you that He will make you a house. "I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his Father and He shall be My son" .

"Then King David went in and sat before the Lord; and he said 'Who am I, O Sovereign Lord? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far?...What more can I say to you? How great You are, O Sovereign Lord! 

There is no one like You... And now, O Lord God, I am your servant, do as you have promised concerning me and my family... For you are God, O Sovereign Lord. Your words are truth, and you have promised these good things to your servant... For you have spoken, and when you grant a blessing to your servant, O Sovereign Lord, it is an eternal blessing!"
2 Sam 7:18-29 NLT"

David had a heart of humility and servant attitude. He was poor in spirit before God, recognized God's glory and where any of his own greatness comes from. He trusted God to fulfill His promise with him and his family. Though God denied David's request, he was not disappointed. God actually gave him even more his hearts desire, more than he knew what to ask for. It reminds me of where Paul says, 

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, 
to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." 
Eph 3:20 NLT

David also understood the fear of the Lord and spoke of it often:

"Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, all who follow His ways. You will enjoy the fruit of your labor. How joyful and prosperous you will be! Your wife will be like a fruitful grapevine, flourishing within your home. Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table. That is the Lords blessing for those who fear Him." Psalm 128:1-4 NKJ/NLT

This week we have looked at what people experienced when they caught a glimpse of the glory of God, both in the Old Testament and the New. In December we saw the response of Mary, Zacharias, and the shepherds when they had angelic visitations. The human reaction to catching a glimpse of the glory of God and the kingdom realm is to fear God. They are awestruck, but also afraid. In most instances they are told to not to be afraid. I like what Jesus told John:

"When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as if I were dead. But He laid His right hand on me and said, 'Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died but look I am alive forever and ever!'" Revelation 1:17,18 NLT

Wow!!! How awesome is His glory, so wonderful His love and grace!

There is a role that the fear of God should play in our lives. It is mentioned in both OT and NT. You could look at it as the first beatitude, Jesus' forefather David contributes. "Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord." Being poor in spirit is the result of fearing God, being in awe and reverence of His glory, and WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE.

We can ask ourselves questions like: do I see the glory of God in creation? (See Rom. 1:20) Do I have a reverence and fear for God? Do I see myself as His servant? Do I recognize His sovereign will in my life and yield to His plan and design for me and my family? Even when I am very successful, am I still humble before Him, realizing that every good and perfect gift comes from Him? There are times and situations when these are not easy questions to ask of yourself. But to continue to bear fruit in our life, we must never leave the belief that, without Him, we can do nothing.

In the midst of being the glorious King of Israel, living in a palace,
David is the same shepherd who looked into the night sky and asked God:

"What are people that you should think about them,
mere mortals that you should care for them?"

Psalm 8:3,4 NLT
 
"O Lord, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
Who have set Your glory above the heavens."
Psalm 8:1 NLT

2 comments:

Kay said...

When we see Jesus - in scriptures, in prayer and in communion - we recognize we are sinful because we are in the presence of perfection.

Yet, he reaches down and touches us, revives us, and commissions us.

Lord help us to never be to busy to fall at your feet and worship you, to feel your touch, to hear your voice

Sheri Dinardi said...

Oh yes, thank you, Kay!